Forums

Theme Weekend Game #1 - Airports and Runways

Pages: 1
kjfitz
05/22/09 04:19 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

To some extent (probably a big extent) this is going to be an exercise in ripping off other lists and GE posts. This may be so but at the end of the Theme Weekend we should end up with a category fully populated with most airports in the world so we all benefit from it.

The next theme day will be a topic that can't be Googled and for which there are no lists to consult and you'll have to do a lot of actual searching within the various mapping services.

1) The theme is Airports and Runways. Everyone has until noon Pacific time on Tuesday May 26 to post as many of them as possible.

2) To be valid you must include the airport identifier (i.e OAK for Oakland, PDK for Peachtree Dekalb, etc. as part of the headline and a link to info about the airport.

Example: Oakland International Airport (OAK)

3) Keep count of your own submissions by posting a running count on each of your submission in the comment field.

Example: After your 5th submission add a comment in the comment field "Airport 5"

That way we can easily clean them up by deleting all the Theme Day comments after the contest.

4) Airports / runway / air base should not have been posted before.

5) Airport may be open or closed. i.e. former military runways from WWII are fine BUT there must be identifiable infrastructure remaining (runways, hangars, towers, taxi ways, aprons.)

6) I reserve the right to reject submissions based on my own evolving criteria and to retroactive delete previous submissions based on new criteria.

7) Don't try to scam me with "Well I didn't think so either but I thought I'd try." That just makes me look at every one of your posts that much closer.

8) Please limit the challenges of each other's submissions. Spend your energy finding new airfields.

9) More info links to other mapping sites will be considered incestuous and not allowed.

10) Have fun. It's just a game.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Parabellum
05/22/09 06:00 PM

Unleash the hounds!

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/

http://www.airnav.com/airports/

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/Site%20Map.htm

kjfitz, it just occurred to me that some of these old abandoned airports will not have an identifier. How do we want to work around that?
VGT Moderator
kjfitz
05/22/09 06:18 PM

Good point.

For the closed ones just add (closed) to the Title.

For private runways we can add (private)
kjfitz
kjfitz
05/22/09 06:32 PM

More links:

This one probably has the most unfound so far: mother of a lists of lists of military air bases (see below the "not found" error in the related searches)

List of US Air Force Bases

Research on historic and wartime AF bases

Canadian Air Force Bases

Historic California bases

List of airports

Soviet Air Bases
kjfitz
joepublic
05/23/09 04:41 PM

I wonder if anyone will find the runway @ Bognor Regis UK. Its tiny, but it still exists!
kjfitz
05/26/09 05:15 PM

OK, that was a learning experience.

My count is:

adrbr 70
mlc1us 21

Were there any others I missed?

Good job you two. Lots of new airports added to the database.
kjfitz
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nic, TexasAndroid, kjfitz, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, AlbinoFlea, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4061