Forums

GoogleEarth only submitions

Pages: 1
dda
04/21/06 08:20 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
How to post GoogleEarth locations without using GoogleMap link ?
GoogleEarth resolution is now so better than GoogleMap, that it's sometimes impossible to spot them precisely.
Couldn't we just send .kmz links ?
nic
04/21/06 08:36 PM

The problem is we still want thumbnails since we can't automate that process.

If we had a form where you could upload both a KML and a thumbnail, would that work for you?
dda
04/21/06 08:57 PM

No problem for the thumbnail, I take it on GoogleEarth... But why not using KML instead of GoogleMap html adress ?
dda
nic
04/21/06 11:10 PM

Yeah that's what I'm saying -- there could be two file upload boxes. One for your KML file, one for the thumbnail that goes with it. We would take care of the rest converting it to what we use for the site.

Would that work or am I misunderstanding?
kjfitz
04/22/06 08:21 PM

Google just updated their dayabase for Google Maps to match Google Earth's recent database updates. I think we have parity again.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
dda
04/27/06 08:33 PM

How to update the thumbnails.

It's vain, I'm afraid. Updating all the thumbnails today… and what about the next update of the same zone in one year ?
You just have to create automatic snapshots of all the submissions.
dda
kjfitz
04/27/06 08:47 PM

We are doing review of all of the 'transients' that may have gone away like airplanes in flight and ships. Along the way we cleanup things like thumbnails that we see.

Also while I'm at it I sometimes see low res submissions that are now in high res or have YH high res while still in low res in GM. (check out Buildings -> Military - Aerostats and the recent updates made there.)

We have in the past taken a city or a country that has newer much higher res images and updated the thumbnails for that area but with Germany and UK all is super high res now that's getting harder and harder. We may try it but maybe not.

nic, TexasAndroid and I agreed quite some time back (and I expect AlbinoFlea agrees) that one of the differentiators of our site is that we wanted to keep the database as up-to-date as possible. When Japan shifted all of its coordinates we updated ours. With each recent GM database update we have tried to keep ours in cync. We actively try to weed out data that no longer is valid so that users won't be discouraged finding false postings.

Sure it may be like trying to hold back the wind at times, but... well... what the heck.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Pages: 1
Extra information
4 registered and 114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5708