Forums

Borrowing VGT map descriptions?

Pages: 1
AKpilotEMT
08/11/07 01:33 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey Now!

I found the following completely by accident...

http://explorer.altopix.com/map/7d3dw1/282/364/Reindeer_River_(Yukon-Koyukuk_Census_Area).htm
Reindeer River (Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area) (permalink)
Longitude: -159°14'45"
Latitude: 62°9'27"
Date: 2007 Jul 31, 11:02
Views: 1282

Info: One of two Reindeer Rivers in Alaska, this one flows down from the northeast into Reindeer Lake which eventually dumps into the Pacific Ocean via the Yukon River.

COMPARE that to VGT map Reindeer River that I originally submitted here on 2005 Dec 25.

Name: Reindeer River (Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area)
Description: One of two Reindeer Rivers in Alaska, this one flows down from the northeast into Reindeer Lake which eventually dumps into the Pacific Ocean via the Yukon River.

I'm just wondering if it's known that VGT desciptions are being "borrowed."

chris
kjfitz
08/11/07 07:14 PM

Have you seen aliensview dot com? (I spell the name so as to give them no help in their google ranking.)

They ripped off the entire database right down to the comments on the maps. Kinda funny, there is the typical banter among regulars and references to GGT (original name of VGT).
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
09/27/07 03:43 AM

It's a wonder that site is still up, I don't think it's been updated since his initial rip -- I still have never figured out his intentions, though I admit I'm slightly impressed how accurately he cloned VGT and its data

AKpilotEMT - I don't know if there's much we can do, unfortunately.
AKpilotEMT
11/15/07 05:20 AM

I don't even care. Just thought it was interesting.
joepublic
10/10/08 08:07 AM

aliensview dot com is off line now... lol
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4596