Forums

Places names

Pages: 1
dda
02/27/07 05:53 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What about the different names of the places ?

Should you use the local name ? It seems to be the logical way ("Köln" in german instead "Cologne" in other languages)
But what about "Beijing" in english, called "Pékin" in french , "Pechino" in Italian, "Peking" in german, and "北京" in chinese...

Perhaps it would be great to have a system who can reconize the different names of the same place... Don't know how, but Googlemaps can do that...
dda
Parabellum
02/27/07 05:49 PM

I have a very simple answer to this question.

English.

It's the only language we all (or most of us) have in common.
VGT Moderator
nic
03/04/07 03:49 PM

I have considered adding another field of "alternate" names for other languages, but it seems the easiest standard right now is simply English.

However, if there's enough interest I could add an "alternate languages" field which would be included in the searches.
Hinkkanen
03/04/07 05:21 PM

I like to use the local names. To my ear English names sound often quite strange, for example Elsinore for Helsingør. Still, I'm happy to use English for the large cities like Köln or Antwerpen or whatever although I have not been consistent in this.

Juhani
dda
03/04/07 06:57 PM

If you choose english, you have to rename LA as "The angels".

Nic, I think that add an "alternate languages" field could be a good idea. There are not a lot of different names. Basicaly capitals and major cities.
The reason is : if you're looking for "Köln", you'll don't find "Cologne" posts. And you have to use the "nearby maps" tool to find them. (And perhaps "Köln" could be understood like "Koln")

dda
dda
nic
10/02/07 03:21 AM

I'm definitely open to the idea - biggest issue is ensuring for non-English alternative names we have a speaker of that language willing to moderate them.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5520