Forums

Submitting maps, show in que, but later disappear

Pages: 1
SAVEDBYFAITH
01/14/09 12:14 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have submitted the same 4 map sites on three occasions. Each time when the maps leave the queue they do not appear later.

Here are the maps via a search;

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/search/?...p;sa=Search#722

I have posted everything exactly per the instructions but they never appear.

Can someone help?
kjfitz
01/14/09 02:50 AM

You have been submitting your maps with thumbnails that are taken from Birds Eye View. But your URLs are all Maps Live (LL) URLs. You can't mix the two.

This was explained to you in the reject comments. It was also explained in the comments on your first few. Did you sign up with a real email account? You should be getting emails when comments are left on your maps. The first few were left in the queue awaiting your comments with the fixed URLs but when they didn't come the maps were deleted. You can see the reasons for your rejection by checking the "My: Maps" link at the top of the VGT web page.

You need to learn how to construct a BEV URL. You can't just copy whatever the 'share' button presents you have a bit of cut & paste to do first.

See this tutorial for details.

Don't worry, it is a learning curve we've all had to do. You'll get it.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
SAVEDBYFAITH
01/14/09 11:05 PM

I followed the "Tutorial" that is linked during the "Submit Map" function.
Nothing in that tutorial even comes close to the tutorial that you linked above.
It appears that the main tutorial is for Google Maps only.... no mention of BEV submissions.

In addition, the tutorial above does not seem to require the pasting of the longitude/latitude any longer.
It appears that the long/lat is already included when one clicks on share in BEV mode.

At this point, I would not be surprised if there is a learning curve "that we all have to do" based on the instructions provided.

Thank you for your help. I'll try again.
kjfitz
01/15/09 01:23 AM

1) Click "Share" when viewing BEV map and save the URL

http:/ /maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r83cyjj3srhy&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=7487406&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

2) Switch to aerial view in LL and click "Share" again and copy out just the long/lat (i.e. 43.622656~13.516681)

3) Replace the cp= field with your long/lat

http:/ /maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=43.622656~13.516681&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=7487406&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Then please be sure to test the URL before you submit it to make sure it is correct.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
02/09/09 02:55 AM

One way to automate this is if you're browsing Birds Eye View maps from the VGT map viewer. If you click on [URL] at the top, and then "Submit Location", VGT will hand-craft the URL you need with the BEV link.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3442