Forums

Find-It Game #9

Pages: 1
kjfitz
04/08/09 06:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Extra brownie points if you can definitively identify what this is with documentation.

Happy Hunting!!

Find-It Game #9
© Google Maps

kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Gosell
04/09/09 12:33 AM

It looks like a laser interferometry gravity wave detector, but it doesn't match any of the ones I can find. Is it a gravity wave detector?
kjfitz
04/09/09 01:45 AM

I found two other sites with the tapered areas extending away from a central circle like the one in the lower left. Both of those and this one are all in areas identified with similar uses.

I also found two other sites with a pair of dual pads like the ones in the upper left.

All four sites and this one were identified as having the same use.

However this site has some details that just give me an instinctive feel that it is now being used for more than just its original identified use.

I found one legal document discussing a claim denial that mentions a DOD project at this site that may or may not have been related to a DOE project not too far away. Since this project was SECRET they could not link the two and the claim was denied. No details of the secret project were given. Other than a brief mention on a UFO site I don't find any other mention of the project.

The GE forums discuss this site but the info there incorrectly identifies some of the buildings age. The buildings in the lower right, the east-west clearing at the top, and the clearing with the long trench in the upper far left are newer than the rest of the site based on older LL images.
kjfitz
kjfitz
04/09/09 01:58 AM

OK, I just did some close examination of this and I can now convince myself it is actually what it is identified as. Nothing super secret or mysterious.

Closeup of the trench:

Closeup of the pair of dual pads:

kjfitz
kjfitz
04/09/09 12:12 PM

Clue: Skinny

Clue: Western hemisphere
kjfitz
Pdunn
04/09/09 02:06 PM

The photos of the dual pads are aircraft gunnery targets hanging between two poles. The mounds are backstops to prevent the rounds from going astray. My bet is an aerial weapons range—but where?

Edited by Pdunn (04/09/09 06:40 PM)
kjfitz
04/09/09 04:09 PM

Correctly identified as a aerial weapons range. It is on a US base in North America.
kjfitz
kjfitz
04/09/09 08:59 PM

Clue: South of a US Army Base.
kjfitz

Edited by kjfitz (04/09/09 09:00 PM)
milwhcky
04/09/09 09:22 PM

Near Fort Wainwright in Alaska
mlc1us
04/09/09 09:44 PM

Way to go milwhcky!

A commenter on the posting at Wikimapia claims he worked there in the 80's. He said it is the Blair lakes conventional bombing range.
mlc1us

Edited by mlc1us (04/09/09 09:58 PM)
kjfitz
04/09/09 11:20 PM

Way to go!

This document hints at a secret project at Blair Lake that may have been relate to a nuclear DOE program.

I'm going to hold off a few days until the next Find-It. Look for it Monday.
kjfitz
Gosell
04/10/09 12:00 AM

What was the clue "skinny" referring to?
kjfitz
04/10/09 12:26 AM

Fort Wainwright was named after Jonathan Mayhew "Skinny" Wainwright IV.
kjfitz
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nic, TexasAndroid, kjfitz, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, AlbinoFlea, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4854