Forums

Preview button for map submissions

Pages: 1
kaicarver
06/29/05 09:12 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi,

Great site. Very elegant. One request:

A preview button would help me avoid silly mistakes in my map submissions...

Thanks!

Kai Carver
Paris, France
nic
06/29/05 12:16 PM

Great idea, I will add that to my todo list
kjfitz
07/12/05 08:35 PM

A quickie fix before you do a prview would be to do a "maps nearby" button next to the map URL on the submission page that would spawn a new window with "close" sites. I think that would catch a lot of dupes.
Maybe a "test your map's URL" button along the same lines.
TexasAndroid
07/12/05 10:04 PM

Doing this for the general public may be tricky.

The infrastructure is already there for finding nearby maps, but it's set up only for moderator use. This is because calculating the distances is computationally busy. It can take up to 15-20 seconds per new map to compare it to the other ~5000 maps. To have everyone capable of running this could have the potential of seriously bogging down the site. And no "close maps" can be provided until all these calculations are done.

So I'm not really sure how to make such a feature practical for the general user. OTOH, we've got it quite practical for the moderators, and I know that I use it regularly myself before approving maps. Now, with people commenting on maps before they are approved, you see a lot of comments about duplication. I'm really not that concerned with duplicates in the submission queue, as they are most likely to be weeded out before approval.
TexasAndroid
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2662