Forums

maps taken down

Pages: 1
imkjam
08/19/09 12:03 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I just had about a dozen good maps taken down. I assume you took them down because my thumbnail is from bird's eye and the link is aerial, what is wrong with that? It links fine, that way when people hit bird's eye they know which house it is for sure and bird's eye thumbs look better. so whats the deal?
kjfitz
08/19/09 02:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:

I just had about a dozen good maps taken down. I assume you took them down because my thumbnail is from bird's eye and the link is aerial, what is wrong with that? It links fine, that way when people hit bird's eye they know which house it is for sure and bird's eye thumbs look better. so whats the deal?

Since a few months after BEV maps were supported it has been the policy of VGT that the thumbnail must match the map type. It provides a level of consistency to the user. When a user scans over the thumbnails they know what they'll see when they click on a map. Sometimes the object or detail in a BEV map is very dependent on the angle, direction, and placement within BEV. Many BEV images overlap so there is a 1:n ratio of aerial views to BEV views. It isn't fair to a viewer to make them hunt around for the particular view you have in mind.

Sure its easy to just cut and paste the aerial URL rather than take the time to learn how to create a BEV URL. But it is worth it to the viewers of your posts to learn it. It isn't that hard.

If a bunch of yours were deleted then probably a comment was left on one when you started submitting them asking that you update the URLs or the thumbnails. After a day goes by without a reply or action they'll get deleted. If the mod was in a hurry or posting was very heavy that day he may have just deleted them as bad posts. It just depends.

Moderators will often fix one off mistakes but when a mass of maps comes in and they all need fixing we often don't have the time in our own lives to fix them.

nic is working on a new feature that will let the moderators kick rejected maps into a private 'limbo' queue for each person. These maps aren't posted nor in the queue. But you won't lose all the data you enetered in the post either. Once you fix the post you'll be able to re-submit.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2305