Forums

Comments Search, Adding Categories & Preview

Pages: 1
pmoore66
08/31/09 10:26 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I had a suggestion a while ago about including Comment fields in the Search. nic thought that this would really slow down the search but i wondered if it would be prudent to make this an option in the Advanced Search. This may help to improve the Comment participation and strengthen the data. I wouldn't mind waiting the extra search time via Advanced search...

Secondly, would it be possible to suggest an additional Category for moderator approval when only one category is submitted? Similar to new imagery? I often find myself searching for a potential entry only to see that it has been submitted with incomplete information...particularly in my areas of interest.

Finally, have you thought any more about a Preview function for submittal? I have had an embarassing number of premature submittals and the mods have been great about adjusting a submittal based on my adding an "adjustment" Comment before approval. Could we allow the maps to enter a limbo state that might allow submitters a chance to improve their final submission? Sometimes i submit and forget to include coords in my BEVs. The form complains and as punishment forces me to enter my categories again and maybe reenter the thumb...can't recall the exact punishment but there are form fields that require reentry. A limbo state would allow the system to highlight potential dupes, lack of info, etc. and give the submitter a chance to adjust their entry. This could reduce mod work...

...and scene.
PMOORE66
sculpture/architecture advocate
kjfitz
08/31/09 01:30 PM

Quote:

I had a suggestion a while ago about including Comment fields in the Search. nic thought that this would really slow down the search but i wondered if it would be prudent to make this an option in the Advanced Search. This may help to improve the Comment participation and strengthen the data. I wouldn't mind waiting the extra search time via Advanced search...

I'm pretty sure nic has this planned.

Quote:

Secondly, would it be possible to suggest an additional Category for moderator approval when only one category is submitted?

You can always add a comment asking it to be added to a particular category. Interesting idea adding a button like the new thumbnails though.

Quote:

Finally, have you thought any more about a Preview function for submittal? I have had an embarrassing number of premature submittals and the mods have been great about adjusting a submittal based on my adding an "adjustment" Comment before approval. Could we allow the maps to enter a limbo state that might allow submitters a chance to improve their final submission? Sometimes I submit and forget to include coords in my BEVs. The form complains and as punishment forces me to enter my categories again and maybe reenter the thumb...can't recall the exact punishment but there are form fields that require reentry. A limbo state would allow the system to highlight potential dupes, lack of info, etc. and give the submitter a chance to adjust their entry. This could reduce mod work...

Great ideas. The mods have discussed similar feature in the past. I'll let nic comment on this one as to his plans.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
09/07/09 10:29 PM

Yep, comment search is planned and coming soon.

Your submit problems are a top priority for me. I understand the pain here when there are problems and a lot of your "state" is removed. Planned features are:
1) Categories will be retained on error
2) Thumbnail will be retained on error
3) For posts that are rejected by a moderator, there will be a chance for you to go back and re-adjust parts of your map for resubmittal.

Hopefully these features makes it more friendly!
nic
09/09/09 03:59 AM

#1 and #2 detailed above have been fixed: http://virtualglobetrotting.com/forums/showflat.php/Number/6215
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3722