Forums

Grabbing imaqes for thumbnails

Pages: 1
TexasAndroid
06/30/05 12:34 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Google's updated their interface in the past day or so, and the method I used to use to grab image tiles from which to make thumbnails to submit no longer works. I was never able to get the richt click menu to come up, but I used to be able to put the cursor over a tile in IE, and the little box of four icons would pop up after a few seconds. One of the icons would save the tile to disk.

This no longer works. The little box no longer pops up. So how else do people manage to save selected icons for thumbnail work?
TexasAndroid
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
TexasAndroid
06/30/05 09:58 AM

Ok. Figured out *A* way to do it, though I don't really like it. I do a screen capture to the clip-board, then paste it into my image editor, where I can clip it down to size. It works, but is a bit clunky. Anyone got better methods.
TexasAndroid
nic
07/01/05 01:49 AM

Wow, I never knew it was easier before. I'd been screen capturing -> cropping -> resizing everything before
TexasAndroid
07/01/05 02:56 PM

I'm getting the hang of the Screen-shot/paste method and it's not bad. It's definitely not subject to the biggest drawback that the other method had. If the item you wanted to thumbnail was at the edge of a tile you either build a thumbnail that showed it off-center, and often partiall off the edge of the thumbnail, or you went through a bunch of extra work to patch several tiles together in order to grab an image from the combined area. Nothing like this happens with the screen-shot method, as you are always starting from the entire screen image, not the individual Google tiles.
TexasAndroid
nic
07/02/05 01:05 PM

I'll be getting a FAQ up soon so people can see how to do it easily as well.
TexasAndroid
07/07/05 10:55 AM

Personally, I currently have to do a screen grab (Alt-Print Scrn), and then paste the grab into a image editing program (MS Photo editor, for me). I the crop the image down to 150X150 pixels, and save it. Fairly simple, over all.
TexasAndroid
Anonymous
07/07/05 11:59 AM

Thanks for the help - I'll try it.
kjfitz
07/07/05 12:20 PM

I use Snagit:
http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp

It's $39 but you can download a copy and try it for free.

I set a 150x150 fixed region and when I do a <ctrl><shift>P I can position a 150x150 box anywhere on the screen, hit enter and I've grabbed the shot. No worrying about boundaries, etc. The new version even turns off the cursor for me (I've been bad about including them in the past.)
Anonymous
08/28/05 08:21 PM

Snagit. That's what I use, too. Smooth way to make thumbnails once you experiment a little.
Anonymous
08/31/05 03:10 AM

Lifehacker mentions this:

http://www.bhelpuri.net/Snippy/

haven't tried it yet. Windows only.
romulusnr
10/11/05 06:34 PM

As nice as having a ready-made 150x150 box, I find often that the location is best served by cropping to the general bounds of the location, and then resizing to 150. I suppose this isn't an issue in GEarth, but GMaps' zoom only works in 2x gradations.
Pages: 1
Extra information
4 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5043