Forums

What's Too Ridiculous to Submit?

Pages: 1
AKpilotEMT
11/05/05 02:42 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Greetings!

I was just wondering what's too ridiculous to submit? Someone just recently submitted a Costo warehouse store, one of those places that helps ruin small business owners because they have to close up shop because they can't afford to compete.

So it's okay to go ahead and post as many of the 350 Costco stores as possible?

If each Costco is okay then what about each Wal-Mart in America?
nic
11/05/05 06:31 AM

You're welcome to submit whatever you want, really. If you have the time and energy to submit 350 Costco locations, go for it!

Joking aside, more maps don't hurt anyone, do they? This site is about viewing the world from space. If it's interesting, submit it! If you don't like the store, it still may look cool from space.
kjfitz
11/05/05 12:55 PM

I agree with Nic. I've said it before but it is worth repeating. What may interest you may totally bore someone else and vice versa. If we eliminated maps that each person thought were boring or represented "bad things" we have no maps presented at all.

There are different people who have objected (through comments or voting) at one time or another to:

- US goverment maps
- French maps
- stadiums
- hospitals
- schools
- airports
- airplanes
- US military sites
- Foreign military sites
- covert sites
- designs
- McDonalds
- ships
- air museums
- churches
- anything in Iraq
- anything in Iran
- anything in the Middle East
- lo res maps
- maps of whole cities or small countries
- golf courses
- nike sites
and more...

As you can imagine, most of the people who complained that a category of map was inappropriate, offensive, or boring or for whatever reason shouldn't be posted could probably present a well argued reason. But then there wouldn't be many maps left.

I say live an let live. If Costco isn't your thing then I urge you to ignore them, maybe subscribe to the RSS feed of you favorite topics, and enjoy them maps you do like.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
AKpilotEMT
11/06/05 06:13 AM

Hey Now!

It's not necessarily that I object to Costo why I questioned the submitting of Costo's, i guess i was just wondering because there are so freakin' many of them... and the same with Wal-Mart and what really is so super special about a costco or a wal-mart that's worth posting it? I guess I was also wondering why post 350 Costos and 2,000 Wal-marts because that could lead to someone wanting to post all 18 billion McDonald's... just seems pointless to me but that's just me.

So more maps don't hurt, huh? Okie dokie!

Adios, thanks for the great work!

Chris
kjfitz
11/06/05 12:43 PM

Among the moderators we've had similar discussions. It actually would be cool to have "everything" and "every place" in the database some day. But to get there you have to have these sites pass through the front page and many people would be quite fed up with them. 2000+ McDonalds is really going to try some people's patience. If or when those huge sets of submissions happen I think nic would add a option to the moderation that would allow you and/or the moderator to chose to accept a map into the database but by-pass having it displayed on the front page.

Imagine though the day when you enter your home address and get an annotated list of all of the stores, schools, theaters, etc. near you clearly mapped on the satellite images. I think that would be prety cool, especially with a layer of filtering hat let's you pick what you want to see.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Pages: 1
Extra information
4 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4200