Forums

Rejected map, or just lost?

Pages: 1
velosteve
11/12/05 01:39 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I don't necessarily need to post this to the world, but this is where the link in the "Rejected Maps" page brought me.

Last night I joined and submitted two maps. Both were velodromes, one in the USA and one in Austria. After doing that, the "Approved Maps" page listed one map, and the "Rejected Maps" page listed none. Neither appeared on the appropriate category page. I assumed that they were waiting for moderation and checked again today.

Now the maps are just gone. Not rejected, not approved, and not in the category. This is frustrating - I feel as if I wasted my time completely. At least if I was rejected with a reason I could learn from the experience.

I posted carefully, and the only thing I did "wrong" was that I used a Google Earth image for one of the thumbnails because it was clearer. This wasn't mentioned in the tutorial, but I read in the forums today that it is unacceptable. Still, that doesn't explain why the other map has disappeared. The names of the maps were "Asheville Mellowdrome" and "Ferry Dusika Hallenstadion (Velodrome)" and I assigned both to Land Raceways - Velodromes.
nic
11/12/05 03:21 PM

Good day velosteve! Sorry you're frustrated.

The Ashevilla track was a dupe of this:
http://googleglobetrotting.com/info.php/mid/4491

Our moderator, Kevin, updated the map to note you said it is now a velodrome too.

You're correct, the other was rejected due to only being Google Earth. I'll make that more clear.

There was a bug in notifying you on the Rejected Maps page. I've fixed it, thanks for pointing that out!

Let me know if you have any other concerns!
velosteve
11/12/05 04:40 PM

Thanks! I'm much less frustrated now. I won't make the "Google Earth" mistake again, and I'll try some more varied searches before submitting next time.

Feature thought: how about an extra button on the submit page which works like the "nearby maps" button on the info pages? It would be used after the URL field is completed, and would allow a user to check for maps covering the same spot even if they can't guess how those maps are named.

Of course I know that not every feature request can be acted on - it's a fun site as it is.
nic
11/12/05 05:18 PM

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, I'll try to get to it today!
kjfitz
11/12/05 05:48 PM

Hi velosteve. I was the one who rejected them. I always dislike doing that especially when it is someone's first maps AND they were so well researched.

A little more info on Google Earth only reason. It isn't the thumbnail that mattered. A lot of us often use Google Earth thumbnails especially on targets that are very small because we can capture a bit more detail in Google Earth. The Google Earth only maps are ones that are high resolution in Google Earth but the URL submitted is to a low resolution image in Google Local (aka Google Maps). We don't at this time allow those types of submissions.

Thanks for posting the ones you have though. I especially appreciate the details you've added to the description and more info link. I wish everyone would do that.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
11/12/05 11:07 PM

OK. I've added a button people can use to see if there are any maps near the submitted URL. Note the URL must have the encoded lat/lon information within for it to work.

I've also added a spot on the Advanced Search page to search by lat/lon.
kjfitz
11/13/05 01:35 AM

Thanks! I've always wanted that!
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
edv
11/13/05 04:02 PM

Quote:

The Google Earth only maps are ones that are high resolution in Google Earth but the URL submitted is to a low resolution image in Google Local (aka Google Maps). We don't at this time allow those types of submissions.

I likewise did not realize this policy was in place (I just had a couple of rejections, sob)
Just curious as to why this policy is in place. Seems to me that most people that would visit this site would also have google earth loaded. Would certainly make for a richer experience, even if a caveat was placed on submissions.

Were there complaints from users?
cheers,
Ed V
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5716