Forums

Map Removal

Pages: 1
pmoore66
08/18/09 11:42 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Curious...
Can anyone ask that a map be removed? What is the process?
Is the submitter informed? Is the map removed from the submitter's count?
I found two locations that I have submitted before and I don't want to waste my time if those maps have been asked to be removed by the owner or an "interested" agent.
PMOORE66
sculpture/architecture advocate
kjfitz
08/19/09 02:53 AM

I only can think of two occasions when we delete a map.

(1) a duplicate - these we hopefully catch while they are still in the queue. When we delete them the reason "duplicate" is usually the text we enter in the reason for the deletion. You can view all your deleted map reasons by clicking on "Maps" after the "My:" (http://virtualglobetrotting.com/my_maps/) Occasionally a map gets approved and we don't notice the dupe until later. But you'll still get a reason.

I confess though that when someone is abusing the system or ignoring warnings about inappropriate maps or posting methods (e.g. continually mixing thumb and map type, inappropriate thumbs, etc.) I will delete the map with nothing in the reason. But these posts are almost always borderline trolls.

(2) A request for a celeb home to be deleted by the celeb - We get a lot of these. When we get them nic deals with it. He explains that we can "hide" all the location data so the map can remain in the database but the location info is all removed. Almost always that is acceptable to the celeb. No notification is made tho the original poster that Inkow of when we do that. If your deleted maps were one of these we keep a list of all of the take-down requests. I could check it for you if you PM me.

Other than that I don't know of any reason we'd delete a map. Very occasionally a user will get in a snit when their feelings have been hurt by a moderator and demand that all of their own maps be removed. Once we had a troll post lots of junk maps that we tolerated for a while before he went too far and got most of his maps deleted.

That I'm aware of, except for celeb posts, no one has ever seriously asked for us to remove a map that they hadn't posted themselves. If they did we still wouldn't delete them without a very good reason.

Does that answer your question?
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
pmoore66
08/19/09 04:23 PM

Thanks man.
I will continue to post with confidence.
PMOORE66
sculpture/architecture advocate
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2633