The whole open field was one walled in enclosure where the prisoners were dumped without shelter.

Andersonville, or Camp Sumter as it was officially known, was one of the largest of many Confederate military prisons established during the Civil War. It was built early in 1864 after Confederate officials decided to move the large number of Federal prisoners kept in and around Richmond, Virginia, to a place of greater security and a more abundant food supply . During the 14 months the prison existed, more than 45,000 Union soldiers were confined here. Of these, almost 13,000 died from disease, poor sanitation, malnutrition, overcrowding, or exposure to the elements.
View in Google Earth Categories: Prisons, Military - Historic
Links: www.nps.gov
By: kjfitz
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
kjfitz picture
@ 2006-09-08 16:18:52
Now in Hi Res.
Advertisement