Anvil Point Lighthouse, which is built of local stone, was completed in 1881 and opened by Neville Chamberlain's father, then Minister of Transport.
The light is positioned to give a waypoint for vessels on passage along the English Channel coast. To the west it gives a clear line from Portland Bill and to the east guides vessels away from the Christchurch Ledge and leads them into the Solent. The light was originally illuminated by a paraffin vapour burner (PVB). In 1960 the station was modernised and converted from oil to mains electricity. The old fog signal, a 5 minute cannon, was replaced in 1981 by new automatic equipment. The fog signal has now been discontinued.
Anvil Point Lighthouse was automated on 31st May, 1991 and is monitored and controlled from the Trinity House Operations Control Centre at Harwich.