Archcliffe Fort

Archcliffe Fort


Dover, United Kingdom (GB)
On this site was originally a watch tower built in 1370. Building of the current fort was ordered by Henry VIII in 1539. It was modernised in the 18th century even it was already considered obsolete. The fort was armed until after the WW1. In the early 1920s the southern part of the fort was demolished to make room for railroad tracks and in the 1990s part of the entrance and the dry moat had to be destroyed when new road A20 was built. The fort is now used by the Emmaus Community as accommodation and workshops.
On this site was originally a watch tower built in 1370. Building of the current fort was ordered by Henry VIII in 1539. It was modernised in the 18th century even it was already considered obsolete. The fort was armed until after the WW1. In the early 1920s the southern part of the fort was demolished to make room for railroad tracks and in the 1990s part of the entrance and the dry moat had to be destroyed when new road A20 was built. The fort is now used by the Emmaus Community as accommodation and workshops.
View in Google Earth Military - Historic
Links: www.dover-kent.co.uk
By: Hinkkanen

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement