Clifton Hampden Bridge is a road bridge crossing the River Thames in Clifton Hampden, Oxfordshire, England, situated on the reach below Clifton Lock. Originally it joined Oxfordshire on the north bank with Berkshire on the south but in 1974 the area on the south bank was transferred from Berkshire to Oxfordshire. The bridge replaced a ferry service which had operated on the site since at least the early 14th century.
Clifton Hampden Bridge was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and opened in 1867. From its opening a toll was payable but this ceased in 1946 when the County Councils of Berkshire and Oxfordshire joined to buy the bridge from its private owners.
Category: Famous Architects