Drum Point Lighthouse

Drum Point Lighthouse


Solomons, Maryland (MD), US
From cheslights.org:

Drum Point lighthouse was constructed in 1883 at Drum Point, MD, about 2.1 miles east of it’s present position. Initially, the Drum Point light station was to be located on land.

The white hexagonal wooden structure housed a fourth-order Fresnel lens. The fixed red light was visible thirteen nautical miles in clear weather. In poor visibility the fog bell would ring a double blow every fifteen seconds.

Drum Point Lighthouse at original locationBecause the lighthouse was located 1/16 of a mile off-shore and in shallow water, the keeper was able to have his family living with him.

The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1962. It was moved to the Calvert Marine Museum in March of 1975. It has been restored to its' original appearance, due in part to the help of the daughter of the last keeper. It has been furnished with period antiques also.
From cheslights.org:

Drum Point lighthouse was constructed in 1883 at Drum Point, MD, about 2.1 miles east of it’s present position. Initially, the Drum Point light station was to be located on land.

The white hexagonal wooden structure housed a fourth-order Fresnel lens. The fixed red light was visible thirteen nautical miles in clear weather. In poor visibility the fog bell would ring a double blow every fifteen seconds.

Drum Point Lighthouse at original locationBecause the lighthouse was located 1/16 of a mile off-shore and in shallow water, the keeper was able to have his family living with him.

The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1962. It was moved to the Calvert Marine Museum in March of 1975. It has been restored to its' original appearance, due in part to the help of the daughter of the last keeper. It has been furnished with period antiques also.
View in Google Earth Lighthouses
Links: www.cheslights.org
By: AlbinoFlea

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement