Lisbon's Botanical Garden is considered to be one of Europe's finest. It covers an area of 34,000sq.m/365,976sq.ft extending uphill from the Rua da Escola Politécnica to the Avenida da Liberdade. Inspired by two professors from the adjoining Science Faculty (which had to be evacuated from the rooms of the Escola Politécnica in 1978 owing to a fire) it was set out here in 1873, thus before the construction of the Avenida de Liberdade.
Pleasant walks can be enjoyed here among all manner of species of plants from all over the world, little streams and some modern statues.
A meterological observatory, opened in 1863, and an astronomical institute and observatory have been built on a higher terrace. A department of the Science Museum located in this upper part of the garden can be visited by an appointment.