The yard was established in June 1800, making it the oldest continuously-operating shipyard of the Navy. Its first ship was the 74-gun ship of the line Washington, launched in 1814.
Islands, Military - Bases, Military - Navy and Coast Guard
It is also the home of "The Castle", a former military prison which derives its name from the resemblance to a medieval castle. This building was the primary prison for the Navy and Marine Corps, as well as housing many German U-Boat crews after capture, until it closed in 1974.
Links: www.ports.navy.mil, en.wikipedia.org