The modern University of Trier, in the German city of Trier was founded in the year 1970. The first 360 students were matriculated on the 15 October 1970. The new University campus is located on top of the Tarforst, an urban district on the outskirts of the town. The University has six faculties with around 470 members. In the year 2002 around 12,000 students had been matriculated, 43,5% male and 56.5% female students. The percentage of foreign students was approximately 15.5%.
Looking even further into the history of the University, the first mention of an academic institution in Trier was made as early as 1455. Due to poor political, institutional, and financial support the University of Trier never made the breakthrough in the following 350 years. After a long period of struggle the University was formally closed down in 1798.