Constructed between 1929 and 1936 to house the League of Nations, the Palais des Nations became the headquarters of the United Nations in 1946 when the former organisation was dissolved. The vast wooded park overlooking the lake, where it is located, was donated by the City of Geneva.
Today, and after the completion of a new wing in 1973, it is the second most important centre of the United Nations after New York.
Its surface is that of the Palais de Versailles and its Assembly Room, seating 2,000, is as large as the Paris Opera House.
Over 25,000 delegates meet here annually to negotiate for world peace.
Many works of art and gifts are displayed.