Forums

Site-specific Information Desirable

Pages: 1
skyeye
12/18/05 03:16 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'd like to see another line added under each thumbnail photo - the geographical place name. A bold title like "JFK Middle School" is of no interest to me unless I know its location. Between the title line and the [Info][View][KML] line require a new line with city, state (province, etc), and country. I don't have time to waste trying to figure out whether the map is in an area of interest.

Does anyone else support this idea?
nic
12/18/05 06:38 PM

While I agree that additional information could be helpful, I'm really trying to limit the amount of data that we display with the 'thumbnail'. If we were to add city, state, and country to this info, there would be just way too much text going on. The focal piece should be the thumbnail image, along with its title and submitter -- to me, that is the most important information to display in one quick view.

What do others think?
AKpilotEMT
12/20/05 07:00 PM

I like mr. skyeye's idea, myself. I often click on Info to specifically see where a thumbnail is; when I'm not particularly interested I click Back without any further looking. So I'd second the idea for a small text line of location info if this is possible without overcrowding things. I'd definitely use it; it would surely be user-friendly to help one decide if they even want to look more at a map or not.
nic
12/20/05 07:20 PM

So how about a popup-box that would show up when you hovered over the thumbnail or if you clicked a [?] icon would show up in a box?

This would be loaded dynamaically, and show some of the quick information about the map, but only loaded for people who want it.

Sound like a good compromise?
nic
12/22/05 04:37 PM

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
AlbinoFlea
12/22/05 05:00 PM

It makes sense to me. You could even implement it strictly CSS, no Javascript, so it doesn't get caught up in people's pop-up blockers.
nic
12/22/05 05:05 PM

Yes, but loading it in CSS will cause ALL of the extra data to be ALWAYS loaded in the HTML = bigger pages, more queries, slower load time.

I was going to use AJAX (async javascript + xml) -- we can load that data on-demand, only when the user wants it. The popup wouldn't be a new window, but a DIV that is hidden until the user needs it, so it won't be blocked by popup-blockers. The Javascript fills that DIV when needed with the info for the specific map only.

Should work great, just did the same thing for (RL) work-pages.
AlbinoFlea
12/23/05 09:24 AM

Point taken. On pages where there's 50+ maps, like the homepage, I can see how populating the divs in advance via CSS might cause some bloat.

It would be fun to code either way.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5042