Forums

Help with Street View

Pages: 1
milwhcky
08/10/07 06:31 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hopefully someone here can lend me a hand...

Just as the scavenger hunt was rolling along, Google's Street Views suddenly stopped working for me... I just get a black box where the scene should show up. It does not freeze or slow up my browser or computer.... just a lack of scenes loading. I've spent all day trying to troubleshoot it.

- I get the same story with three different browsers - IE, Firefox, and Opera.
- I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Player. Other Flash sites work perfectly, and it tests out ok on Adobe's site.
- Cleared internet cache and tested different flash player storage settings.
- I installed a file from microsoft to disable phishing... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928089
- I could not find any documented help on google maps support pages.
- And as always, I keep a minimal number of applications running in the background to free up resources.
- I tried to recreate a system problem by using some memory-hogging programs, but everything held up fine.

Any suggestions?
kjfitz
08/10/07 06:51 PM

I have had the same thing happen to me. That's why I haven't been moderating the GM-SV maps today. It started for me yesterday. But at home with the same exact browser version on the same OS it works fine. I thought it might be a local (i.e. work related) network issue but i guess it is more wide spread.

I'll let you know if I come up with a solution.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Parabellum
08/11/07 10:38 AM

I've had the exact same problem. I suspect it's on Google's end, because nothing I do seems to fix it. It seems to be intermittent.
VGT Moderator
milwhcky
08/12/07 02:10 PM

Well, I'm done fussing over it. I've attempted it several times a day since it first stopped working, and I always just get a black box where the scene should appear. I installed a newer firewall with no change.

Hopefully this problem doesn't happen to any of the other contributors, as we are seeing some excellent submissions on this scavenger hunt.
nic
08/12/07 07:33 PM

Looks like there's a lot of people having problems, so far I haven't found any solutions.
kjfitz
08/13/07 12:31 PM

Yup, I'm still consistently out at work. If I get a chance I'll play with some proxies later today and see if that makes any difference.

I've tried four different PCs at work with a mix of Windows 2000 and Windows XP and both Firefox and IE and all of them are exhibiting the same behavior. So I'm convinced it is a server / network / network caching issue.

If I can proxy into a different network it may then work.
kjfitz
TexasAndroid
08/13/07 02:57 PM

I'm getting a 403 error from Google on some of my SV jumps, and the black area whenever I do get past the error. So maybe there's some sort of anti-spam or such code that they have turned on that is complicating things. Here's the full error message:

-------------------------------------------------------------
We're sorry...
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
To continue searching, please type the characters you see below: <Captcha deleted>

-------------------------------------------------------------
TexasAndroid
kjfitz
08/15/07 03:10 PM

The GM-SV maps started working for me again this morning.
kjfitz
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 360 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5515