When the 1910 wing was added, in effect linking the two ends of the original building and enclosing a courtyard, the intent was to provide space for government employees, not legislators and their staff. Consequently, this section is less ornate than the rest of the building. Nevertheless, parliamentary functions gradually encroached.
The 1910 wing had 6 massive vaults, originally used for storing the nation's financial treasures before the Bank of Canada was constructed. Rumours have circulated for years that gold was once kept here. The vaults have been converted to office space, but the original doors have been preserved.