Former secret intelligence base

Former secret intelligence base


Sonoma, California (CA), US
The map is centered on the location of what was the High Frequency Direction Finding Antenna (HUFF-DUFF).

For over 50 years, Skaggs Island was a secretive, secure, and self-contained naval base, engaged in a number of communications and intelligence gathering functions for the Navy and other federal intelligence organizations. Direction-finding high-frequency antennas, for example, could aid in locating distant sources of communications by intercepting signals bouncing off the ionosphere. The 3,310 acre site was purchased by the Navy in 1941, and closed in 1993, but the antennas continued to be used for some time after that. A staff of 400 people are said to have been stationed here, and most of the buildings are residential and recreational buildings, including rows of single story homes, a theater, mess hall, recreation center, chapel, bachelor's quarters, and administrative buildings, all of which are now abandoned and in a state of disrepair. Beyond the main base and an unrelated aviation beacon (a VOR antenna) the only other structures of any size on the base are two block houses that contained transmitting and computer equipment. They are now abandoned and partially stripped of their contents. Recently, the walls of these buildings have been perforated by Navy SEALs, practicing forced entry methods, using explosives that create round entry holes. The site may eventually be restored as wetlands.
The map is centered on the location of what was the High Frequency Direction Finding Antenna (HUFF-DUFF).

For over 50 years, Skaggs Island was a secretive, secure, and self-contained naval base, engaged in a number of communications and intelligence gathering functions for the Navy and other federal intelligence organizations. Direction-finding high-frequency antennas, for example, could aid in locating distant sources of communications by intercepting signals bouncing off the ionosphere. The 3,310 acre site was purchased by the Navy in 1941, and closed in 1993, but the antennas continued to be used for some time after that. A staff of 400 people are said to have been stationed here, and most of the buildings are residential and recreational buildings, including rows of single story homes, a theater, mess hall, recreation center, chapel, bachelor's quarters, and administrative buildings, all of which are now abandoned and in a state of disrepair. Beyond the main base and an unrelated aviation beacon (a VOR antenna) the only other structures of any size on the base are two block houses that contained transmitting and computer equipment. They are now abandoned and partially stripped of their contents. Recently, the walls of these buildings have been perforated by Navy SEALs, practicing forced entry methods, using explosives that create round entry holes. The site may eventually be restored as wetlands.
View in Google Earth Military - Historic - Closed Facility
Links: clui.org
By: kjfitz

Advertisement

Around the World Mailing List

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Anonymous picture
Anonymous
@ 2006-04-01 15:44:41
They stopped calling it "HuffDuff" after WWII.
Anonymous picture
Anonymous
@ 2006-04-01 15:46:16
The "Elephant Cage" (Wullenwebber) antenna did NOT "bounce signals off the ionosphere". Two or three HFDF stations were used to triangulate a signal's source by determining its relative bearing from the three stations.
romulusnr picture
@ 2006-05-22 13:55:15
This point is an AN/FRD-10 Classic Bullseye array.
dogstar7 picture
@ 2006-07-10 23:10:08
I think that this is where Robert Duvall kneecapped James Caan in the first scene of "The Killer Elite".

Advertisement