Fort Charles was built in 1662 by the British. Port Royal originally belonged to the Spanish, but in 1655 the British invaded an took control of the port and thus the fort. The fort became the headquarters for the British Royal Navy. Horatio Nelson was stationed at the fort in 1779 while awaiting the arrival of his ship, the "Hinchinbrook". While waiting, Nelson prepared the defenses for an attack from the French that never materialized. On October 5, 1779, Nelson left Port Royal and continued his illustrious naval career.
Military - Historic - Forts and Batteries
Links: www.jnht.com, www.fodors.com