The Hangman's Bridge (Henkersteg) was constructed in 1457 as a wooden bridge. Between the 16th and the 19th century, the Nuremberg hangman lived in the tower and the roofed walk above the river Pegnitz. After the flood of 1595, three arches of the town wall bridging the southern arm of the river Pegnitz were demolished and replaced by the wooden Hangman's Bridge with its tiled roof (reconstructed in 1954).
Bridges - Pedestrian
The executioner had to live in segregated accommodation within the city, since his trade was considered "dishonest". Up until the Age of Enlightenment, citizens avoided any physical contact with the hangman, in order not to be excluded from the Christian community.