The tower was constructed in 1937-38 to house the government administrative offices of the Cumberland Homesteads, a New Deal subsistence homesteading program of the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration during the Great Depression. The structure is a marvel of innovative design and execution. The octagonal stone tower houses a water tank and a winding stairway leading to a lookout platform at the top. Most of the original 252 farmsteads can be seen from this vantage point.
Museums - History, Towers - Water Storage