Jefferson County Courthouse

Jefferson County Courthouse


Charles Town, West Virginia (WV), US
The first Jefferson County Courthouse was built in Charles Town, West Virginia in 1808, on a lot donated by Charles Washington. It was replaced by a larger building about 1836, which comprises the core of the present courthouse. The building is historically notable as the site of two trials for treason: that of John Brown in 1859, and those of unionizing coal miners from Mingo County, West Virginia, a consequence of the Battle of Blair Mountain, whose trials were moved from the southern part of the state in 1922 as a result of a change of venue.
The first Jefferson County Courthouse was built in Charles Town, West Virginia in 1808, on a lot donated by Charles Washington. It was replaced by a larger building about 1836, which comprises the core of the present courthouse. The building is historically notable as the site of two trials for treason: that of John Brown in 1859, and those of unionizing coal miners from Mingo County, West Virginia, a consequence of the Battle of Blair Mountain, whose trials were moved from the southern part of the state in 1922 as a result of a change of venue.
View in Google Earth Government - Local, Buildings - Government
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: Mike1989

Advertisement

Around the World Mailing List

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement