The John Golden Theatre is a legitimate Broadway theatre located at 252 West 45th Street (George Abbott Way) in midtown-Manhattan. Designed in a Moorish style along with the adjacent Royale Theatre by architect Herbert J. Krapp for Irwin Chanin, it opened as the Theater Masque on February 24 1927 with the play Puppets of Passion. Seventy-six years later it housed another production known for its puppets, the award-winning Avenue Q.
Buildings - Theaters
In 1937, impresario John Golden acquired the theatre and renamed it for himself. It also operated as a movie house in the late 1940s and '50s before it was purchased by the Shuberts, who returned it to full time legitimate use. The exterior of the theatre was used as the location of the movie version of the film A Chorus Line.
With a seating capacity of only 800, it is one of the smallest houses on Broadway.