Lower Fort Garry

Lower Fort Garry


Winnipeg, Canada (CA)
Lower Fort Garry was built in 1830 by the Hudson's Bay Company on the western bank of the Red River, 20 miles (32 km) north of the original Fort Garry, which is now in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Treaty 1 was signed there.

A devastating flood destroyed Fort Garry in 1826, prompting the company's then governor, George Simpson, to search for a safer location down river. Governor Simpson chose the site of Lower Fort Garry because of its high ground and location below the St. Andrew's Rapids, eliminating the time-consuming portage of the heavy fur packs and York boats. However, the fort never became the administrative centre as it was intended, since most of the population of the area was centred near The Forks and objected to the extra travel required to do business at the new fort. As a result, Upper Fort Garry was rebuilt in stone at The Forks, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Lower Fort Garry was built in 1830 by the Hudson's Bay Company on the western bank of the Red River, 20 miles (32 km) north of the original Fort Garry, which is now in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Treaty 1 was signed there.

A devastating flood destroyed Fort Garry in 1826, prompting the company's then governor, George Simpson, to search for a safer location down river. Governor Simpson chose the site of Lower Fort Garry because of its high ground and location below the St. Andrew's Rapids, eliminating the time-consuming portage of the heavy fur packs and York boats. However, the fort never became the administrative centre as it was intended, since most of the population of the area was centred near The Forks and objected to the extra travel required to do business at the new fort. As a result, Upper Fort Garry was rebuilt in stone at The Forks, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
View in Google Earth Military - Historic - Forts and Batteries
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: kjfitz

Advertisement

Around the World Mailing List

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement