St Mary's Church, Kidwelly, is considered to be the largest parish church in Wales. Founded as a Benedictine priory church in about 1114, the original church was burnt down in 1223. Re-building started in the thirteenth century, but the greater part of the present fabric dates from around 1320,including the tall tower and graceful broach spire. Other notable fourteenth century features include the surviving tracery on two of the windows, the triple sedilia (the seat provided for the officiating priests), and the piscina (a basin lying close to the alter used for washing the communion vessels). Post-fourteenth century modifications include the shortening of the western end of the nave, which occurred after 1481, and a major restoration carried out by Middleton & Prothero of Cheltenham between 1885 and 1889 when a new nave roof, font, and east and western windows were provided.
Buildings - Religious