This 9/10 mile oval track is the only remaining dirt track from the inaugural 1949 NASCAR season. The Occoneechee Speedway was built in 1947 by NASCAR founder Bill France on the site of a 1/2 mile horse track. It was renamed Orange Speedway in 1954. Stock car races were held here until it closed in 1968.
Abandoned, Raceways - Car
Pine trees and sycamores have grown over most of the property, but the track surface and concrete grandstands are still intact. The ticket office and restrooms have been restored in an effort to keep the history of the track alive. In 2003, three miles of walking trails were created on the land.