The Fort Meade Historical Museum is housed in the first indoor school of Fort Meade and is located on the corner of Tescumeh Avenue and Main Street (Broadway). This schoolhouse, built in 1885, was donated to the Historical Society and moved from its original site on South Lanier Avenue to the present location in 1989. Following the year as a school, this building served as a private residence and then a boarding house. Extensive renovation took place in 1990 and 1991 on the first floor. The building was then inactive until 1998, when a small group of volunteers took an interest and started to put some of the collection artifacts into place. In 1999 refurbishing of the second floor began to accommodate the extensive collection of the Historical Society and in September 2000, the museum was opened to the public. Many of the treasures within the museum were donated by descendents of the pioneer families of our community. The museum also holds a pictorial collection of the historic homes that can be found throughout Fort Meade.
Museums - History, Buildings - Schools