The Porta Nuova goes along the Trinita' bastion (1836), and was built into the 1531 rampart. It stands alone and was constructed between 1533 and 1546 by the military architect and engineer Michele Sanmicheli. The Austrians modified it in 1854 finishing off the facade in tuff and opening up the two archways on the side. Therefore, only the central archway opened towards the countryside in the original sixteenth century gate. The keystone carries a sculpture of Jupiter's head. The Porta Nuova train station is not far from the gateway and the Verona Exhibition and Trade Fair centre is only two kilometres down the road.
City Squares, Military - Historic - Forts and Batteries