The house was originally a 13 century castle. The house was extensively rebuilt between 1730 and 1741. The house was gutted by fire in 1974 but recently has been reborn as an exceptional tourist destination.
The gardens at Powerscourt were laid out in two main periods. When the house was rebuilt in the decade after 1731, the surrounding grounds were also remodeled. The design reflected the desire to create a garden which was part of the wider landscape.
The estate is named for the Viscounts Powerscourt, whose ancestors were granted the 1603.