Among the many restaurants and filling stations that once served Shamrock, Texas' Route 66 travelers were the Tower Station and U-Drop Inn Restaurant. Representing the art-deco style that was popular in the 1920s and 1930s, the building was completed in 1936. The building was first constructed as three separate businesses - the Tower Conoco Station, so named for the tall tower gracing its roof; the U-Drop Inn Cafe, named by a local schoolboy in a contest that awarded him $50.00 for his idea; and a retail store. However, when the retail store failed, it was taken over by the cafe for use as a ballroom and overflow dining room.
Buildings - Novelty / Interesting, Buildings - Retail and Dining