Victoria Tower on Castle Hill overlooking the town Huddersfield was built to celebrate the first sixty years of the reign of Queen Victoria. It was opened by the Earl of Scarborough on 24th June 1899. Although often referred to as the Jubilee Tower, the correct name is the Victoria Tower. Designed by Isaac Jones of London, it was built by the firm of Ben Graham and Sons of Folly Hall, using stone from Crosland Hill. It cost £3,298, and is 106 feet (32.3 metres) high, which, added to the height of the hill itself, makes the top 1,000 feet (305 metres) above sea level. During the Second World War it was suggested that the Tower should be pulled down, to prevent it from being used as a navigation aid by Nazi bombers. In fact a few bombs were dropped near the Tower in 1940 and 1941, but these were probably just random jettisonings.
Monuments, Towers - Misc