Today in History - May 12

Blog Blog

Sunday, May 12 2013 by

1778 – Captain James Cook visited Kayak Island on May 12, 1778, and buried a bottle with a paper and two small pieces of silver given to him by Dr. Richard Kaye, the chaplain of King George III, for this purpose. Because of this, Capt. Cook gave the name “Kaye’s Island” to this feature.

Kayak Island (Google Maps)
Kayak Island

1789 – Tammany Hall, also known as the Society of St. Tammany, the Sons of St. Tammany, or the Columbian Order, is incorporated as the Tammany Society.

Tammany Hall (StreetView)
Tammany Hall