Forums

Really?

Pages: 1
jbottero
11/24/13 12:00 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
mlc1us has deleted a description for a map I posted, saying "it was cut and paste".

I object.

Get ready guys, because if this is the policy, I will *in this forum* post every single "cut and paste" description so that you can delete it.

As well, as a theater buff, how the fuck do you know it was not me who wrote it in the first place?

Seriously, if this is the new policy, I shall make haste in pointing out *every* cut and paste description.

Every. Single. One.

- JJB
nic
11/24/13 02:21 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi Jake,

Per our Map Submission Policies:

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/submit_policies/

Quote:

For the Description, please do not copy a full article from another source. You may quote small passages from another source as long as they properly attributed.

The issue with the map you reference is that there were 14 paragraphs copied verbatim from a source that was not referenced.

The reason we cannot allow descriptions that are largely copied/pasted is that it potentially violates US Copyright law. While small snippets could be considered Fair Use, we could potentially be sued for copyright infringement if entire articles are reproduced here verbatim.

We generally encourage submitters to try to reword small descriptions in their own words, so they are not (knowingly or not) committing copyright infringement.

If there are other postings that have significant bodies of text copied verbatim from another source, please let us know.

We must be strict about this policy, to protect ourselves and our submitters.

If you originally wrote the other piece, it would help us if you noted that in the description.

Thanks for your concerns.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1649