Forums

Boring pics

Pages: 1
joepublic
09/27/08 11:24 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Why is this site filling up with boring pictures of road signs and shop signs... i mean for christ sake one of the pictures queued at the moment is of a 'dead end' sign... another is of a root beer stand... also we have a eurosport sign on a wall oh and a google logo on a shop window...

On the home page of this site it says "VirtualGlobetrotting is an atlas of the best satellite, aerial and street view imagery from around the world"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kjfitz
09/27/08 11:27 AM

Here's why:

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/hunts/
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
joepublic
09/27/08 11:32 AM

Well its ruining the site in my view, why not start a sister site for that... on the face of it, its making the site seem boring to the casual observer....

A number of people i've told about this site seemed to think it was full of road and street signs before i told them to look deeper...

is this a scavenger hunt site or a reference site...?
kjfitz
09/27/08 12:10 PM

Quote:

is this a scavenger hunt site or a reference site...?

Well, it isn't either. It is a thriving community of people who are interested in the many things that can be found in the various mapping web sites. As such, interests vary. Hang around a while and get a feel for the place. It goes through phases. For a few weeks things will be very random. You'll just as likely see an airplane, a ship, an Indian mound, or a road side attraction. (Personally those are may favorite periods.) But at other times the site will be dominated by aircraft, or at other times by celebrity homes, and at others by some other passing interest that someone has. That ends up being the strength of the site. It doesn't consistently appeal to just one small or narrow demographic but over time a much larger community finds things they like.

Like everyone we like to have fun. Occasionally, not too often, we run these hunts. Sure, during the hunt the mix of types of maps posted gets a bit odd (probably boring to those that aren't participants.) You have a good point that new people dropping in for the first time may be turned off during a hunt. On the other-hand it brings in new people who participate constructively. Those new members show up for the hunt and then usually stick around and become solid contributors as they find their niche.

So give the site a chance. The hunt will be over Wednesday. Then there will be a small lull. Then we'll be back to usual except with a few new members hopefully posting the kinds of maps you and I like.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
joepublic
09/27/08 03:57 PM

Ok fair enough...

thanks for you reply Kjfitz.
bubaonline
09/28/08 07:43 PM

By the way, the eurosport sign on a wall, I posted, is at the headquarter of the largest sport broadcaster in europe. It's not part of the hunt and in my opinion an interesting placemark.
whatever, have fun with this site.

regards
Burkhard
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3950