Military Scavenger Hunt
Kevin (kjfitz), one of the VGT moderators, has hand-crafted a Military Scavenger Hunt for our visitors. The hunt starts on Saturday February 28 at noon EST, and will last 14 days until Saturday March 14 at noon EST.
Scavenger hunts are contests to see who can find the most maps in a list of categories. To participate, you simply submit maps as normal, then select the scavenger hunt category you are submitting to. The category list for the Military Scavenger Hunt is here. Once a moderator approves your map, you automatically get points for that category.
The total points you can find for this hunt is 66 (medium size). The user with the most points at the end of the hunt wins! Looking for your scavenger hunt score? Check your Scavenger Hunt page for details.
Cash Prizes (Amazon.com gift certificates) for the winners are as follows:
If there is a tie for first place, the $100 total in prize money will be distributed as such:
- 1st: $50
- 2nd: $30
- 3rd: $20
- 1st person to get the high score: $50
- All others who get the high score: Split the other $50 evenly
- Alternate views in SV and BEV of the same item in a slightly different position are not allowed
- Moderators reserve the right to add additional limits and restrictions to any item at any time to preserve the spirit of the hunt.
- Note 1 - Provide a relevant More Info link to the specific instance of the item and not that class of item. e.g. a photo of the static display aircraft and not the Wikipedia article on that type of aircraft.
- Note 2 - Find a ship that is a standard naval vessel that can be identified either by its uniqueness or its name or designation visible on the ship. Location of the ship is not evidence enough to identify the ship.
- Note 3 - Must be an identifiable type missile that is or was deployed by the military. Props, advertisements, photos, etc are not acceptable. The idea is to find a real military missile. Items on static display are acceptable.
- Note 4 - Must be a previously unposted battery. Simply posting an unposted launcher from a previously posted location is not acceptable.
- Note 5 - Base, station, field, etc. Not an office building, recruiting office, etc. Very generally a facility should have a guard shack and fence around it at minimum.
- Note 6 - Not part of a collection, group, pool, location previously posted.
- Note 7 - The idea is to find a new type of plane or ship that the military or one of its contractors is testing.
This hunt ran from 2009-02-28 through 2009-03-14.
mlc1us - 61 points
neotrix - 59 points
kkeps - 55 points
adrbr - 54 points
bubaonline - 49 points
giove - 31 points
Tyco - 18 points
maveriick - 12 points
milwhcky - 2 points
Gosell - 2 points
Rene73 - 1 points
alfjon - 1 points
WacoKidd110 - 0 points
- Active minuteman missile silo (NOTE 1) (7 maps)
- Active or inactive early warning site along the arctic circle (Alaska, Canada, Northern Europe) (NOT (8 maps)
- Atlas missile site (NOTE 1) (6 maps)
- Civil War Monument (Street View) (NOTE 1) (6 maps)
- Flag of a branch of the military (Street View) (6 maps)
- Group of five or more static display aircraft (NOTE 6) (7 maps)
- Identifiable Commissioned Non US or UK Naval Ship (Birds Eye) (NOTE 1)(NOTE 2) (7 maps)
- Identifiable Commissioned UK Naval Ship (Birds Eye) (NOTE 1)(NOTE 2) (7 maps)
- Identifiable Commissioned US Naval Ship (Birds Eye) (NOTE 1)(NOTE 2) (7 maps)
- Identifiable wreck of a military vessel sunk in a military operation (NOTE 1) (4 maps)
- Military Hovercraft (NOTE 6) (6 maps)
- Military personnel in formation (7 maps)
- Military Radar Dome (Birds Eye) (7 maps)
- Military recruitment ad (Street View) (5 maps)
- Military satellite dish antenna (larger than three meters) (Birds Eye) (NOTE 1) (7 maps)
- Missile on static display (Street View) (NOTE 1)(NOTE 3) (4 maps)
- Nike missile site (Birds Eye) (5 maps)
- Non-US military or naval academy (NOTE 1) (6 maps)
- Person in a military uniform (Street View) (7 maps)
- Rapier missile site (NOTE 1) (5 maps)
- Remains of a closed WWII airfield in Africa (NOTE 1) (5 maps)
- Remains of a closed WWII airfield in Europe (NOTE 1) (6 maps)
- Remains of a closed WWII airfield in the United Kingdom (NOTE 1) (7 maps)
- Remains of a closed WWII airfield in the United States (NOTE 1) (6 maps)
- Revolutionary War Monument (Street View) (NOTE 1) (5 maps)
- Soviet or Russian air base (NOTE 1) (6 maps)
- Soviet or Russian early warning site along the arctic circle (NOTE 1) (4 maps)
- Static Display Aircraft - B-52 or B-36 (Birds Eye) (NOTE 1) (5 maps)
- Static Display Aircraft - Cargo aircraft (Birds Eye) (NOTE 1) (5 maps)
- Static Display Aircraft - P-3 Orion (Birds Eye) (NOTE 1) (4 maps)
- Static Display Aircraft - PBY (Birds Eye) (NOTE 1) (5 maps)
- Static Display Aircraft - Pre 1945 fighter (Birds Eye) (NOTE 1) (5 maps)
- Tracked combat vehicle (static display is OK) (Street View) (NOTE 1) (8 maps)
- Unit logo or insignia on a rooftop or ground (6 maps)
- US Army facility (NOTE 1)(NOTE 5) (5 maps)
- US Army or Marine camp in Afghanistan (NOTE 1) (5 maps)
- US Army or Marine camp in Africa (NOTE 1) (2 maps)
- US Army or Marine camp in Iraq (NOTE 1) (7 maps)
- US Naval facility (NOTE 1)(NOTE 5) (7 maps)
- US Naval Ship identifiable by class in the Persian Gulf (6 maps)
- Water tower with military related artwork, insignia, logo or words (Birds Eye) (7 maps)
- Current military prototype ship or aircraft (NOTE 1)(NOTE 7) (3 maps)
- Military aircraft flying in formation (5 maps)
- Military hovercraft in motion (2 maps)
- Patriot Missile Battery (NOTE 1)(NOTE 4) (7 maps)
- Submarine in motion (4 maps)
Browse All Maps >>
261 maps submitted.