The town served in the past as a distribution hub for the trains carrying minerals on their way to the Pacific Ocean ports. The rail construction started in 1888 and ended in 1892. The trains were mostly used by the mining companies. In the 1940s, the mining industry collapsed, partly due to the mineral depletion. Many trains were abandoned thereby producing the train cemetery.