The Castle, built in 1470, appears a bit squat, as it was typical in that era. It was erected by Bernardino de Bernardo, who founded the town. Bernardino, who was secretary of the Aragonese court, with the construction of the fortified Castle initiated the building of the town which bears his name. Some sources, however, claim that the Castle already existed during Norman times. The truncated cone base of one of the cylindrical towers leads us to believe that the construction was Angevin instead. In any case, there are many adaptations and stratifications in the castle architecture.