The bridge is one of only a few pre-1940 suspension bridges in Texas. The original bridge was built in 1896. The bridge was heavily damaged by floods in 1938 and much of the bridge was reconstructed. In 2005, a historic bridge rehab project was initiated. Over this time, much of the original 1896 material has been lost, with the towers being the most significant part of the bridge that is original, although other isolated parts of the bridge are old or original, such as turnbuckles and other elements of the suspenders. Despite alteration, the overall function, design, and general appearance of the bridge remains the same.