The Brownville School was built in 1927-28. J.C. Harris was the architect who built it and supervised the construction. It was one of five DeSoto County schools to be closed in 1947 when the school system was consolidated and students were bused into town. Since that time the building has been used as a VFW Hall, community center, federal food commodities distribution office, storm shelter, polling place and a training program for adult mentally handicapped persons. In July 2004 the property was leased to the DeSoto County Historical Society by the DeSoto County School District.