The majestic, imposing Castle was built by the Normans in 1076 on the remains of the previous Byzantine fortification. The spirit of Roberto il Guiscardo was cancelled in 1496 when Andrea Carrafa decided to enlarge, and in part rebuild the manor-house, which underwent further restoration at the hands of the noble families living there, the Ruffo, Sculco and Gruthers.
In 1905 the Castle was purchased by the Municipality who recently returned it to its ancient splendour. One of the most complex and beautiful military buildings in Calabria, it consists of a fifteenth century square watch tower, with four angular towers on four protruding buttresses.
Surrounded by strong, crenellated walls with a moat on three sides, it contains intricate, underground labyrinths and stables with the remains of mediaeval frescoes. Magnificent stucco decorations and Baroque paintings by Francesco Giordano ornate the large living rooms of the fortress. The belvedere, built in 1535 by Galeotto Carafa, overlooks the entire Marchesato as far as Crotone and the Ionian Sea.