Castle Drogo is the last castle to be built in England. Built under the instruction of Julius Drewe who purchased the land in 1910 for a grand family home. Building finished in 1931, the same year that Julius Drewe died.
The castle was constructed of blocks of Dartmoor granite mostly from the nearby Blackingstone Quarry, more granite came from Merrivale and Pew Tor Quarries. Blocks were ranging in weight from 75kg to 8000kg
The castle was gifted to the National Trust in 1974, the first 20th century house to come into the Trust's possession, a decision that was taken on the grounds of the quality of building as much as for its surrounding environment.