The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston, located in Charleston, South Carolina. The Most Reverend Robert E. Guglielmone, D.D., the thirteenth Bishop of Charleston, was ordained and installed on March 25, 2009.
The first brownstone cathedral was built in 1854 and named the Cathedral of Saint John and Saint Finbar. It burned down in a great fire in December 1861. After being rebuilt it was renamed the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. It is actually built on the foundation of the previous cathedral. Architect Patrick Keely designed both the original cathedral and its replacement.